Saturday, 27 December 2014

Beijing Diary Part 1: Nanluoguxiang, Forbidden City, and Wangfujing

I'm back! I've been shamefully lazy with the blog these past few months but that's going to change now. I've given the place a little revamp so it's much easier on the eyes now. Also, I should warn you that this is turning into a travel blog for the next few weeks since it's the holidays and I'm travelling to a few different places in Asia!

I didn't really plan on going to Mainland China during my time in Hong Kong but my boyfriend suggested that we should go to Beijing when the semester ended. I'm so glad he did because seeing Beijing was incredible! I was trying to whittle down the three hundred photos I took into just one post but I've since realized that was a stupid idea, so I'm going to aim for three posts instead.


After arriving in Beijing, we headed to a preserved old district Nanluoguxiang. The area is filled with places to eat (street food, cafes, restaurants) and shops. It's a great place to hang out and buy some souvenirs.






Sweets shaped as the animals of the Chinese zodiac.


I took more cat photos than I needed to during the trip. This one was such a poser though!


The next morning we got up early to explore. First we looked around Tiananmen Square and then went inside the Forbidden City.


The size of this place was immense! 980 buildings on 180 acres on land. Nothing's too grand for an emperor I guess. 



I really loved the details on old Chinese buildings - so colourful and usually involving dragons.



Lion turtle!


Lion cub!




After the Forbidden city we made out way to Wangfujing. This place is filled with malls, and my guidebook likened it to Oxford Street in London. However, we came to eat rather than shop. After a great hotpot, we went to Wangfujing's famous snack street.



Here is where you can find some very strange street food. I had to pass on the scorpions.


Unique street food offers aside, Beijing has some really great food! My favourites were baozi, lu da gun, and of course Peking duck.


That's it for part 1!
SHARE:

8 comments:

  1. such amazing post! looks you had a fun trip <33

    xx,
    www.liviapangdoko.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photographs, hope you're having an amazing time and wishing you all the best for 2015!
    - Grace xx

    P.S. Would really appreciate it if you could check out my blog and maybe follow if you feel so inclined? <3
    http://voguebeach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, have a great new year too!
      And of course I'll check out your blog!

      Delete
  3. I love Beijing! wow... beautiful photos here! Have a great 2015!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com
    instagram.com/gracenjio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there's so many great things to see! And thank you very much, I hope you have a great year!

      Delete

© Belle in Black and White | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig